Friday, July 29, 2011

Cowboy Mounted Shooting

Last Saturday (July 23), some new "horsie" friends suggested I join them for a mounted shooting clinic at Faustman Ranch put on by 1st Ohio CMSA (Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association). Last minute, I decided to get the trailer, grab Falco out of the field he'd been standing in untouched for 3 weeks, and go.

So, off we went! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, and not going to lie, I was pretty darn nervous! I have fallen off enough lately and wasn't too eager to do it again. Surprisingly, Falco was amazing and didn't seem too bothered at all by it! He was more upset with me that I put ear plugs in his ears than the fast that I was shooting two rounds from a Colt .45 off his back!

It was a pretty neat process... they paired us up with a gun-broke horse and had us trot around in circles in the arena, while someone went to the other end of the arena and fired the gun. Our horses fed off the broke horses, and allowed them to feel secure that nothing was going to happen. Then they moved into the center of our circle and fired the gun. The horses could smell the gunpowder and had to walk through the smoke. After this, they had us partner with a single horse and they ran the course with us next to them and they shot the gun from their horse. We did this twice. After that, we were able to go on our own and run the course by ourselves! I ran twice with Falco and it was awesome! I am HOOKED!









No comments: